Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Simple Classical

Ah, a little bit of peace.  I have come to mostly peace (still have a little refining to do) with our homeschool philosophy and I am calling it "Simple Classical".  I came to the realization that I strive to be classical, but I am far from par.  We use classical curriculum and follow it's time line, if you will.  However, to be completely honest, my kids are only memorizing math facts right now.  Ouch.  I wish that weren't true.  I want to change that and that begins with some hard work on my part; which I'm gearing up to do...in my spare time.  On the note of memorization, I also realized that I want to refine how we memorize, but I'll post more about that next.  So, why simple?  Because it's a concept that is very important to me.  I want to keep our daily schedule simple, so we are relaxed to focus on the work that needs to be done.  I want to keep subjects simple; I have found great value in doing a few things well, rather than shuffle through a lot just to check off some boxes.  The kids learn more when we are taking one concept at a time and letting it seep in before moving on. 

Do you know what's not simple? Microscopes.  If you know a science teacher, give them a big hug...and then give me their phone number.

Our philosophy also holds an element of simple "adventures".  Alison cannot stand it when I say we're going on an adventure.  Hello little stress ball, you are why it is so important to keep things simple.  Anyway, we do count our frequent mini adventures as school and believe that it strengthens their education. 

Speaking of adventures, we're off on one this week!  Beach exploring pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment