Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2016

8,000 things

I don't even have time to blog, but I've started about 8,000 different posts in my head over the last week, so I thought I'd jot down the condensed version.

I started working on getting school portable for the big move.  As with all projects I've started lately, it became much bigger than I anticipated.  I started with making each kid a binder with all of their subjects in it.  With this, I can have all of school in 1 backpack and simply hand each kid their binder and guide them through each section.  However, compiling all of our curriculum into small binders was...well, hard and it opened several unexpected school doors.  As I worked on condensing each subject, I realized that grammar and science were just not working for us.  I was trying hard to make it work, but was putting A LOT of work into modifying it.  So, I said, "Thank you for your service" to it and put it in a box to resale later.  Thanks to Amazon, I ordered some new, simpler/smaller books.  Both Alison and Eli have finished their math curriculum, so I made a section of review pages and signed them up for Kahn Academy, an online homeschool site.  I also signed the boys up for ABCMouse, a preschool/kindergarten learning site.  While this paper work and computer learning is not how I prefer our learning/teaching, it is a season and I need to know that we can do school in a hotel room or empty house...hopefully these tools enable us to do that.

New books and binder, ready for our geography unit study and "transition school"


We worked on getting in the grove of this more independent learning.  It took some time to get the kids rolling on both learning sites, but they were all very excited about this new venue.  I have been extremely happy with both sites and it's actually very challenging, yet rewarding for Alison.  When she's done with math, she can explore other subjects offered and has chosen topics I would never have thought about adding to our curriculum.  It's fun to see where her curiosity takes her.



I also bought Gus Spanish, for us all to learn together.  We've had fun playing over lunch.


 The kids have enjoyed these new programs so much that they've asked to do them for their electronic time...that's a win in my books.

Alison and Eli learning Spanish together

 The other school door that this all opened was the great handwriting debate.  Ben has encouraged me to think of the next month as a review period.  So, look at what each kid needs to work on and only work on those things.  For example, in Alison's history section of her binder, I just put all of her past chapter narrations so she can read over them.  When it came to Eli, his handwriting is the worst.  I started doing a little research, not knowing if it's just being a 5 year old boy, or if it's something to be concerned about and what is the best way to help.  After 2 different writing curriculums, I needed a new strategy.  Article #1 said that poor pencil holding and writing can be a sign of dyslexia.  Okay, I kinda panicked.  The more I read, the more I realized that both boys show several early signs of dyslexia.  My husband struggled with it as a kid and it is hereditary.  I believe it's too early to really know if they are truly dyslexic and the signs could be simply that they are little boys, but it made me even more passionate about switching things up and finding a learning medium that works for them.

All these things may seem little, but my brain has been consumed.  I feel a huge weight and concern that the kids don't lose any education because of this move.  I have been stressed trying to actually continue school now and work on "transition school" and clean the house to move out and keep up on regular chores.

Normal site these days...

A couple of loads of laundry that need to be folded, a pile to be packed for the trip and blinds hanging to dry.  Oh that's right, we have to clean all the blinds and windows and we have 24 giant windows in this house.  My love for natural light is kicking me in the booty.  Every cleaning project I've started has also been more consuming than I anticipated.  It's also VERY humbling...I thought I cleaned the house well, but was apparently very wrong.  I will be scheduling deep cleaning into my routine when we move!


The stress of taking time off led me to analyze our calendar and I realized how much time we already have taken off this year.  With Ben coming home from deployment and taking a few trips and family visiting and the Holiday's, January is the only month that we've done school all 4 weeks!  And looking ahead to future school, we will be moving from Arizona in 2 years in September, which means we won't be able to actually start school until October.  It hit me this week that our life pretty much demands year-round school.  It sounds horrible, right?  But as we talked it over, we realized that it actually has a lot of benefits.

1.  Taking time off is not stressful anymore...we can do school when it's 112 degrees outside in July.
2. Eliminates burnout and back to school horribleness.  Take a break when you need it, but not so long that it's hard to jump back in.
3.  It gives me time to work on curriculum without trying to teach while doing it.
4. Prepares the kids for real life.  Unless they all become public school teachers, long summer breaks won't exist in their adult life.
5.  Sets an "always learning" tone to life.  Our goal is even when we are taking breaks that they are using that time to review and read and explore.


And finally, as I researched year-round schooling, I discovered that I'm supposed to be documenting our school days and have to make sure we're "in session" 180 days of the year.  In the 13 months I've been homeschooling and all the laws I've researched and information I've read, this is the first time I've come across this.  Yikes.  Thankfully I only have 13 months to catch up on, but you would think this information would be more in bold.  Maybe it gets brushed under the carpet with this big "unschooling" movement...


In moving news, the packers come in 14 days!

1 comment:

  1. Makes total sense to just go year round and take breaks as needed. The whole notion of a school year is pretty artificial anyway.

    ReplyDelete