Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

When breaks are bad

I was sound asleep this morning, when this little boy jumped on top of me, completely dressed and wearing his little backpack.
 

Colin: "I'm ready for school, momma!"
Me: "It's a holiday today, all schools are closed."
Colin: "Uh uh.  It's a holiday and all schools are OPEN!"
Me: "Well your teacher is on break."
Colin: "Please Momma!  Can we please do school?  Please, please, please?!

I had originally planned on working through the holidays and just taking off Christmas and New Year's day, but I was met with much opposition.  I know, you're thinking that's a crazy plan, but I want to get as much done as I can before this crazy move.  It wasn't until I looked at our curriculum and saw that we have more than enough done for this semester that I decided to give into the rest of the family and we took 2 weeks off.

I confess that I thoroughly enjoyed the break...perhaps too much.

This picture pretty much sums it up.

There were snuggles and smiles and lots of yummy food and way too much time in pj's.





I was relaxed, but is there a point where you can become too relaxed?  Take for example, the morning I decided to sleep in.  It was one of the few mornings Ben had to go in to work for a little bit.  He left the house and I stayed in bed.  I eventually made my way downstairs, still in pj's, and watched Little House with the kids and drank 3 cups of coffee.  I was in full fledged break mode, when we heard this strange alarm going off upstairs.  The kids and I started to search for this mystery sound and found it coming from my phone!  I had left it in the school room and in my relaxation, had missed 8 calls, an email and a text from Ben.  The alarm was him setting off the "find my phone" search as his last ditch effort to make sure I was alive.  See, I never stay in bed when he leaves for work, so he was already concerned about me and then when I didn't answer, he was certain I was dead.  Lesson learned: make sure you can still hear unplugged device when unplugging.

Then, there's the example of this girl:


She started to complain of her tummy hurting over our break.  We were sure she was constipated and were constantly on her about drinking LOTS OF WATER!  See the 2 big glasses next to her?  It took us several days to finally figure out that she is stressed.  She is stressed about January coming and we've been sick the last 2 January's and she's positive sickness is out to get her.  And she stressed about moving.

What does Alison's stress have to do with breaks being bad?  I realized that her best medicine is being able to talk; to share what she's feeling and feel like she's heard.  While I was on break mode, I may have been in the same room as her, but it wasn't the same as sitting at our desks together and her having my full attention.  As much as she says she doesn't want to do school, I know she really values time here:


And this is where she's been.  Every time I've sat down at my desk these last 2 weeks to try and get some things done, the kids have come to sit down with me.  Alison has plastered our refrigerator with drawings she's done while sitting with me and Colin has mastered a few states.



As much as I really want to still be spending my days in pj's and playing, I can tell these kiddos are ready to get back into routine.


P.S. Please be praying for Alison.  She is still struggling with anxiety even after countless talks every day.  Her stress is valid, as moving to an unknown place as an 8 year old is scary and it is flu season, but I'm starting to feel very helpless in knowing how to help her.
Would love any advice...





1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be praying for Alison! Poor girl. Keep her talking!

    ReplyDelete