Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Puzzles

I love puzzles.  I have wonderful memories of doing puzzles as a kid with my family and I've tried to pass on that love to my kids.  But here's the thing, the tradition is a CHRISTMAS puzzle.  December rolls around and I break out festive puzzles, watch sappy Christmas movies, sip hot cocoa, eat way too many molasses cookies and I am one happy girl.  My own family has joined me over the years and I love it.

Princess P asked to buy a puzzle while we were in the mountains and I had this momma moment of "YEA!  My puzzle love is sinking in!!!"  We bought the puzzle but didn't start it until we were back home.  Reality check...this puzzle turned out to be way harder than I thought.  It looks like it's for kids, but it's not!

Anyway, the puzzle has sat out on our dinning room table for almost 2 weeks now and we'll work on it here and there.  I still love it.  It's calming for me and I love that the kids have something to do when the thought "I don't know what to do" crosses their little head.

Princess P said one day, "My perfect afternoon would be: working on the puzzle while daddy plays music."

Check.


I'm curious what the theory is on puzzles, if they help education at all.  I'm sure there's some study out there...my theory is they are great for quality family time and somewhere in there, the brain is being stretched as it searches for pieces and makes matches.  If nothing else, it's some times patience building :)

No comments:

Post a Comment