Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2015

A little getaway

Getaway is definitely the wrong word.

A little adventure?
A little added work with some pretty views?

 I booked a cabin by the Shenandoah River.  Princess P wanted to go camping, so this was our compromise with her; we can enjoy nature and still have a bathroom and bed to sleep in.  It didn't take long for me to realize that relaxation is hard to find when you are packing up your family and taking a road trip and trying to get 3 kids to sleep in one room.  And for some reason, nature seemed to bring out the chattiness in Princess P and she would not.stop.talking.


Before Hubs left for deployment, I had this huge desire to plan a trip for when he was back home.  I almost needed something tangible to plan for that I was in control of.  Hubs agreed to let me fully plan a family trip (he normally is the researcher and booker of trips) and said it also gave him something to look forward to.  Often times, during deployment, I would picture myself sitting by the river, listening to the crackling of a fire, starring up at the stars and soaking in relaxation.  That picture gave me hope that rest was coming on many hard days.



Okay, so I didn't come home completely refreshed, but it was still a great trip.

It did give Hubs and I time to talk.  We'd sit out on the deck of the cabin and sip wine and talk for however long we wanted.  The kids may or may not have been watching way too much cable TV, but we'll just say that was their form of relaxation on the trip.  One night Hubs said casually, "You know, it's a toss up between who changed more while I was gone; Charlie or you."

Me?

I was so surprised to hear him say that!  Um, Charlie is 3 and talking more and has grown inches and a ton changes in that stage of life.  But me?  He said that I look different and am calmer (with the quick disclaimer that I wasn't un-calm before) and more confident and sure of myself.

His comment, even though a positive one, left me thinking.  I can't look too different; I didn't cut my hair or gain weight.  Maybe the stressed really aged me or maybe he just forgot what I look like.  Or maybe the large amounts of stress left me too calm...am I numb to it all now?

Take for instance this situation:


My family is on top of a mountain.  Do you know how we got there?  We hiked up a rocky mountain with narrow paths and steep overhangs.  The only other couple up on the mountain offered to take this picture and the lady was literally shaking.  When we got back down, Hubs said, "Yea, there were some scary moments up there.  I was really nervous."  Do you know how I felt?  Fine.  Sure there were moments that I stepped to the outside of Bubby so he wouldn't fall off the cliff,  but my only stress came from trying to hold my tongue from snapping at Princess P to STOP TALKING!

"Oh! Look at this leaf!  Isn't it pretty?  I was hoping to see some squirrels today.  I wonder where they all are.  Alvin's my favorite chipmunk.  Don't the chipmunks have funny names?  But I really do like the movie, especially the one with the girl chipmunks.  Oh wow!  Look at that rock!  It looks like a turtle head!  Isn't that crazy?" 
 This is a seriously a short dialogue that came out of her mouth...I have video to prove it and that was just for 30 seconds of an hour.

Anyway, back to my point of change.  I really don't feel different, but I suppose the truth is, we're all changing, all the time, even when we don't notice.  It made me think about how much of life is spent thinking about what we want to change, either in ourselves or others around us or life situations.  But then when change actually happens, we can't really see it or pinpoint when it happened.


How has Hubs changed?  Well, apparently now he smokes a pipe.  Weird, right?  That change I can pinpoint...thank you smoking club on the ship.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with him, you have changed. It's like you are calm in your center. Maybe its that you've been living the Phil 4:13? But I agree with him, you've definitely changed.

    And your description of Miss Chatterbox had both of us laughing.

    ReplyDelete