Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Stitch Fix review

A couple of weeks ago, Hubs and I were talking about his homecoming.  He was sharing with me the few details that he knew about when/where the ship was coming into port.  The day sounds a lot like the military motto: hurry up and wait.  The ship is supposed to come into port at a certain time in the morning, but it may be late and it may be early.  And once it does come in, it takes hours for everyone to get off the ship, but we will want to be there to see it coming in and see all the sailors lined up in their uniforms.  And that's when it hit me...uniforms!  I can't show up to his homecoming in just shorts and a t-shirt!  But I don't need to be in a formal dress and oh yea, I have to corral 3 kids for several hours in said casual/nice outfit.  Yikes.  Added to that, I am a terrible shopper and even more terrible when I'm distracted by 3 kids running around the store and shouting, "Hey mom!  Look at this!  Can we buy this?!" every 2 seconds.

Deployment takes you to places you never thought you'd go.  A friend encouraged me to try Stitch Fix, an online stylist that sends you a box of clothes.  And while I've looked at it before, I quickly dismissed it because A.) I never spend money on clothes for myself and B.) I didn't trust that they could actually find something I would like because my style doesn't really fit a trend and I am SUPER picky.  Desperate times call for desperate measures and I put my hope in this site to find me something for Hubs homecoming.

Here's what they sent me:
(Pictures by my 8 year old who was a little too excited to get out of reading time early to help me and couldn't stop wiggling the camera)


Like the dress, but how the zipper is sewn into the side of the dress makes the left side of the skirt lay funny.  See? Super picky.


The material of this dress is super comfy, but I just felt "eh" in it.  Wasn't bad, but wasn't great.  I liked that both dresses you could dress up or dress down, only problem was I don't have the dress up/down accessories...yet.


This shirt had a cute criss-cross back and was probably my favorite out of the box, but I felt like it was a little too baggie.  I guess that's the style now...I always miss the style boat.  Would you believe that I've never even tried on skinny jeans?  I'm all for being stretched outside of my style box, but why did they choose whitewash skinny jeans?  They were super too long too (do you roll up skinny jeans?) which says a lot because I have a crazy hard time finding pants long enough.


Apparently the P had just enough time to take a selfie while I was changing clothes.


I hate to confess that I have put way too much time and energy into this outfit.  It's embarrassing really.  I didn't find a winner in this box they sent, which is sad, but I think they did a fairly decent job styling someone they've never seen or met.  My wardrobe was one thing I said I was going to work on while Hubs was gone and it remains on that long list of "Things I was going to do during deployment and real life hit and it never got done."  The search for a casual dress has only reminded me that it's okay to invest a little in myself and I am still hoping that I can get Stitch Fix to work for me.


P.S. I think I found a dress winner!  At Target of all places!

2 comments:

  1. I really like that shirt on you! Also tell the princess she takes good selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black dress was my favorite. (The others looked too big on you.) Don't worry... A "weird zipper" would have bothered me too.

    ReplyDelete