Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Expectations

I wasn't prepared for this part.  Waiting and messed up plans just make me feel like poo.  And I've realized over the last few months that not hearing Hubs voice for an extended period of time makes me feel extra pooey.

Everyone told me to have low expectations.  But here's the thing; expectations are sneaky.  You never realize you have expectations until they aren't met and you feel frustrated/angry/hurt/anxious.  I thought I was good on low expectations and have been praying over it for awhile.  SURPRISE!  I guess I expected the ship to actually come home when it was supposed to...or that there wouldn't be any hurricanes during hurricane season.

I suppose I also expected myself to be more flexible and be okay when plans were changed.  Instead, I just froze.  I didn't know what to do and when Hubs finally called yesterday and asked what I was doing, I said, "Just laying on the couch because I don't know what to do."  I never just lay on the couch.

I can tell the kids are on the same vibe.  Somehow we made it through school yesterday and Princess P did not do so well on her history test.  I asked her what we could do to help her get a better grade next time and she just shrugged and said, "At least it's not a zero."  True.  But that is completely not her personality and I knew in that moment, history was at the bottom of her priority list.  I can respect that.  I didn't care so much about the Phoenicians either.

The forecast is showing rain all.week.long.  Yea.  I'm so glad that I picked sandals to go with my new dress!  Maybe I'll class it up and wear rain boots.  Trying to look at the positives, Princess P said, "Well now I have time to take a shower before Daddy comes home."  She made me slightly scared for the teenage years when she said that.  Maybe the giant zit that appeared on my face will have time to disappear before he gets home.  Nothing more humbling than giant zits...even more humbling when your kids ask what's wrong with your face.  "Oh nothing, just a zit trying to eat my face.  No big deal.  I'm sure daddy won't even notice my face has doubled in size."  Note to self: don't stress and eat lots of sugar, or big zits will come kick you while you are down.

3 comments:

  1. I don't do well with my expectations either, they really do sneak in and bite me in bad places :( If you figure out how to manage them, let me know; I'll take all the tips I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You never realize you have expectations until they aren't met and you feel frustrated/angry/hurt/anxious." So true!! And mostly I end up mad at myself when I realize it. Praying for y'all in this crazy final stretch especially since you don't know how stretchy the stretch will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! Appreciate all prayers!!!

      Delete