Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

A little convienence

You really should listen to your friends; they're wise and love you and are often in the same boat as you.  I don't know why it took me so long to listen to my friend Melissa when she told me about the grocery pick up service at Harris Teeter (she also told me about Stich Fix, so clearly she is one to listen to!), but as deployment went on, I realized that my plate was too full and I just physically cannot do everything that needs to be done.  Everyone kept encouraging me to find something that would be helpful and then ask for it, but I couldn't think of anything I was willing to hand over.  Does that make sense?  Sometimes it's more work to coordinate help than just doing the actual job that needs to be done.

I was hesitant about the Harris Teeter pick up because I don't usually shop there, but decided to check it out online...if my bill was way higher than normal, then I'd back out...I seem to have a problem committing to money.  I have nothing but positive things to say about this service.  First of all, I can grocery shop in my pj's while watching TV and the kids are in bed.  I will take that any day over pushing a heavy cart full of children who are making shooting noises at each other.  Second of all, it takes the guess work out of my shopping.  Am I almost out of flour?  Oh, let me look...nope, good.  I think I actually save more money by being able to think through my meals and the food I have and it cuts out impulsive buying at the store.  Extra bonus, it cuts out my kids asking for random snacks!  Third, I have my very own personal grocery shopper.  This sweet lady calls me after I place my order and will ask if there's anything I forgot or will ask if she can substitute an item if they're out of what I asked for.  This week I accidentally left my phone at home when we went out, so she couldn't reach me to ask these questions.  When I swung by the store, she gave me $15 of free food because she wasn't sure her substitutions were okay...which they were.  Forth, and the most beautiful part, I never have to leave the car.  I come home with beautifully packed groceries and I still have my brain (usually by the end of the ordeal my brain is fried) and energy.

If you're wondering about prices, I have found my bill to be comparable to what it usually is.  There are only a few things that I won't buy there because I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere, but I did find organic milk cheaper there and they often have pretty good sales (you can also still use coupons).  You do have to pay a pick-up charge, but I consider it the same as tipping the bagger at the Commissary.  Bagger can't be the right word.  Grocery concierge?  

Yes, it may seem like a weird treat, but this is the one thing that I have given to myself during deployment and will probably continue to do it for the sake of time during homeschooling.  

Yesterdays pick up left me with a little extra money, time and Dijon mustard with chardonnay...what?!  Definitely requested Dijon mustard, but why are we wasting chardonnay on mustard?!

1 comment:

  1. What a great service--so glad you tried it out. And your friend is wise :)

    ReplyDelete