Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

I survived

Thank you, rain; you saved my tushy.

Saturday morning, God sent rain and instead of a long run, Hubs and I lifted weights.  Thus, I lived to eat lots of apple pie and vanilla bean ice cream.

Hurray!
 

I feel like celebrating birthdays as an adult with children is hard.  Princess P totally spilled the beans on Hubs present and then wanted to talk about her birthday this summer the entire day.  To top it off, I spent the afternoon with her at a friends birthday party.  Okay, we made that conscious choice to sacrifice time so she could go ice skating for the first time, but I think it was a little more than a sacrifice of time.  
15 kids (most had never been on ice before) + 1 adult (oh yea, that would be me!) = big time sacrifice.
I came home wondering, "Where have all the parents gone?"...hope you are singing a song in your head right now too.
 

I want to lie right now and tell you that I came home and slaved away at dinner for Hubs.  But I have to be honest and say that he cooked his own birthday dinner.  Even more honest; he loves it.  He's an awesome cook and loves being in the kitchen.  Praise Jesus!  I roasted the veggies, if that counts for anything.  On the menu:  flank steak, braised white beans, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli and rolls.


I ended the day feeling like I should have done more.  I suppose that's the trap of every holiday; the fear of not meeting expectations.  I'm making a mental note to do something awesome for Father's day and say no to any birthday parties on that day.

On a survival note, I've been back to my early mornings this past week.  I'm so thankful for a neighborhood to run in, but am already getting tired of the same route every.single.day.  There's one house that always smells like clean laundry and I always wonder why in the world anyone is doing laundry at 6 am!  Then again, they're probably looking out their window wondering why in the world someone is running in the dark.  There's also a house that always has a van running in the driveway.  I think it's weird when people run their cars for an extended period of time when there's no frost in sight...but people do it a lot in this neighborhood.  Maybe someday I'll understand, but for now, I'll just try not to think about all the gas money they could be saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment