Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

The power of a picture

Here's a look at our week in pictures:

Scavenger hunt for 'S' things on the trail:


Morning at the Children's Museum:


Lunch + extended play time with friends at Chick-fil-A:


Closest grocery store refuses to carry good options for healthy food...had to buy small containers of Greek yogurt and the kids thought it was a special treat to have their own cup.


Target practice with nerf guns:


Baked bread and listened to lots of Go Fish:


Valentine's Day party!  Crafts, games and experiments!:


Homeschool Tae Kwan Do class:


Girl Scout trip to the Air and Space Museum:


Learned how to knit:



I could have easily posted these pictures on facebook or Instagram, with just those captions and everyone would have thought, "Geez, she's such a great mom!  Look at all those activities they did in just one week!"  It would have been so easy for me to deceive the world that our week was picture perfect.  But the hard core truth is, this week in pretty pictures, completely sucked. 
Attitudes were sassy and there was talking back and countless tantrums.  The reason we did so much this week, is because I was escaping!  I had to get out or something very ugly was going to happen!  This was the first week in my mothering career that I completely dreaded the day beginning.  I felt unequipped for the battles I was facing with my kids and I just wanted to hide until it was over.

However, I learned a few very valuable things during this completely horrible week.

A.) Don't ever, under any circumstance, cut something out cold turkey when you have PMS.  Before realizing what was coming for me personally, I told the kids that we were turning off all electronics for the week.  Day 1 hit, and my crazy emotions could not handle the no-break days.  And crazy as it is, I can tell that my 7 year old is already sensitive to these times of the month.

B.) There is greater power in scripture than in a picture.  The only thing that helped this week was God's word.  I wrote out 2 verses and posted them on our refrigerator.  When they started fighting, we said together:
Ephesians 4:32
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave yo
u.

When they talked back or argued with me, we said:
Colossians 3:20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

It honestly was the only thing that calmed our house down.  By the end of the week, I saw some sweet fruit from memorizing these verses together.  One day I was upstairs and heard Princess P saying Ephsesians 4:32 to Bubby as a very gentle reminder.  It's these small moments that I have to savor to help me through the tough weeks.


2 comments: