Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Homemade Cough Drops


Our family had a fun time passing around colds last month.  That's the problem with large families; it takes forever to get a bug out of the house.  The cold ended with a dry, persistent cough that lingered for about a week.  Princess P was the last to get it and requested kid friendly cough drops.  I picked up some Luden's cherry drops, just like the ones my mom would give me as a kid.  She was popping those suckers left and right and the cough still lingered.  Then one morning, she woke up with a red, swollen face and clearly had reacted to something.  The only thing new I could think of were the cough drops.  When I flipped over the container to look at the ingredients, I was disgusted.  Sugar, refined sugar, processed sugar and lots of artificial food coloring.  Cough drops officially go with vitamins in my "why are we putting sugar in ourselves to make it better?" category.  So I went searching for a better answer.  I found a recipe for homemade cough drops and I can testify that they work.

 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Beat the coconut oil on a medium high speed until it is whipped.
Add honey and cinnamon and beat until blended.
Scoop teaspoons out and place on parchment paper.
Put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment