Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

First week down!

Hallelujah!
I made it through the week!

The challenges kept on rollin', but I was up every day at 5:30.  Monday morning I did a kickboxing and ab workout in the living room.  I was feeling awesome at 7:00, when I realized that I had coffee, time with God, a workout, breakfast cooking and a shower, all before the kids woke up.  30 seconds after I served breakfast, Charlie started throwing up.  Sheesh, this kid likes to keep me on my toes.  I honestly chuckled at how quickly my awesome morning turned sour, literally.  I had just prayed over my day and clearly God's plans for me that day were to be a nurse on top of being a teacher.  Let me tell you, teaching 2nd grade while cleaning up vomit and doing endless laundry is not for the faint of heart.  I think I said 5,000 times "Please be gracious to mommy today.  Can't you see what I'm doing right now?!" 

Tuesday, I did a different kickboxing workout.  Wednesday, I ran outside and Thursday...my workout was running up and down the stairs tending to different kids.  Friday, I did a "beginner" Pilates workout with Princess P and it kicked my booty (this one was not at 5:30am).  I've largely underestimated Pilates and will definitely be adding it my routine!  I ran again this morning and did some suspension training.


Pilates with the P

I had sick boys or recovering boys most of the week.  I had kids up at 3:30 in the morning and a Hubs who was traveling or had long meetings all week.  There were terrible attitudes and school work to catch up on...it was a hard week.  BUT, I still got up, maybe just to prove to myself that it was possible.

My view during kickboxing

Even with all the hard things this week, I really did like getting up.  Instead of thinking of the early time, I thought about how much time I had to myself.  5:30 meant 1.5 hours to myself!  I loved being ready for the day when the kids got up and I loved watching the sun rise on my runs.  I was even pleasantly surprised to find that I wasn't more tired at the end of the day.  I found a huge difference in my attitude, when I started the day with my tank full, rather than spending the day looking for time to give to myself...does that make sense?

Some cons of working out early: I definitely wasn't able to "push it" as hard as I normally do.  My pace running was about 45 seconds slower than normal and trying to jump quietly in kickboxing equals not really jumping at all.  My tummy also wasn't super excited about jumping around so early and so soon after waking up.  I still have some tweaking to do in that department.  Really, I probably should get up at 5:00 and drink coffee and wake up some before working out.

I did some research this week on at-home workouts, looking for a little motivation and push.  Man, workouts are expensive!  It's ridiculous the money they want you to spend on a person telling you what to do and not doing it themselves.  I would like to alternate my days of running and living room workouts, but I think I'll bite the bullet and make up my own HIIT workouts and spend my money on cute clothes instead :)

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I started getting up early for working out when my sons were little--it's really the best way to start the day for me.

    And yes, Pilates is a really good workout, all about those long, lean muscles. You might also check out Cathe Friedrich's workouts on DVD. They are tough, she cues well and isn't annoying to me the way Jillian whats her face it. I've got probably four now (you guys gave me one!) and they are all really good.

    Sorry the kiddos were so ill :( I hate stomach viruses so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion-I'll check those dvd's out! I did one Jillian workout and could barely stand it...will not do another one again.

    ReplyDelete