Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Breakfast cookies and Larabars

Charlie is back down to the 3rd percentile:(  The only thing that has gotten any weight on him is Carnation Instant Breakfast and our doctor recommended we try adding it to his food in addition to his daily drink.  So, today I adapted from a recipe to create "breakfast cookies".


Ingredients:
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ⅔ cup unpacked brown sugar
  • ½ cup smooth peanut butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup rolled oats (I blend these in the Vitamix first...because my kids insist they don't like oatmeal...thus I hide it :)
  • 1 cup Carnation Instant breakfast
  • 1/4 cup honey
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until just moistened. Mix in the oats, Carnation and honey until evenly distributed. Drop by tablespoonfuls on to lightly greased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges start to brown. Cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Yes, I recognize there is a lot of sugar in these puppies but I used raw sugar and sugar not used turns to fat and that's what my little stinker needs.  Thankfully, the kids liked the ones I let them try and I'll serve them with some yogurt and fruit in the morning!


On to Larabars.  These are great post workout snacks and a good source of healthy calories for Charlie.  With only a few real ingredients, it's hard not to gawk at how yummy they are.  We can get them for $0.79 at the commissary and after several failed attempts at homemade ones, I was purchasing a fair share of them per week.  That was until I found the right ingredients for homemade ones.  Let's just say, be careful what kind of dates you buy.  I am a to-the-T recipe follower, but this morning I eyeballed the ingredients and was pleasantly surprised by the results.  I should really think of a creative name for these, but my wittiness went to bed an hour ago.

Chocolate Larabars:
  • Half a container of Medjool dates, pitted
  • a couple of spoon scoops of almond butter
  • a handful of pecans
  • about 1/4 cup of dark chocolate cocoa 

Throw everything in a food processor and blend until it forms a dough.  Press into a pan and let sit in the refrigerator.  I wanted to save my pan and space in my refrigerator, so I just formed the dough on some wax paper, and put it in a baggie.  If I'm really ambitious, I'll put individual bars in snack baggies for easy access. 


This picture also gives you a glimpse of life with my boys.  First, Bubby was begging me all morning for a Larabar.  He watched me make them and then it was nonstop, "Are the Larabars ready yet?  When can I have a Larabar?  Is it time for a Larabar?  So, how about those Larabars?"  They were finally set, I cut one just for him, he stuck one little germy finger in the middle of it and said, "I don't like chocolate".  Second, every day Charlie climbs up in a bar stool, grabs an apple, takes one bite and places it next to the bowl.  But hey, they say some is better than none, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment