Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Love the crazies

Hubs took the 2 older kids on a trip this weekend.  They went to his sister's wedding and we decided that it was not going to be a "Charlie-friendly" event, so me and the babe stayed home.  The walls of the rehearsal dinner venue were lined with wine bottles, so I'm pretty positive we made the right decision...Charlie is an angelic looking Tasmanian devil. 
Princess P and Hubs dancing at the wedding

I was looking forward to some one-on-one time with my littlest because it seems like that never happens.  We went for a bike ride, played at the park and watched some 'Daniel Tiger'. 

at the park

The couple of days with just one baby made me remember all those days with just my Princess P.  It gave me insight why I was who I was then and so thankful for who 3 kids has refined me to be.  Having one child is a unique place though.  Things in theory should be easier, but they're not because you still have a child who has needs and perhaps those needs are more magnified because they're not entertained by other kids and look to you for everything.  For example, I was cooking dinner tonight and Charlie was losing it.  He was under my feet asking me to hold him and crying for a cheese stick and emptying kitchen cabinets to show his frustration that I was not taking him outside like he would like.  However, the second Hubs and the kids walked in the door, he was immediately different.  He ran to play and didn't cry and waited for dinner like the rest of us.  See, it's not necessarily easier to have just 1 as it is presumed to be.

when Princess P was Charlie's age...and she was an only child

It was funny though, after the first day of just the 2 of us, I didn't know what to do with myself.  I thought about going shopping or stocking my freezer or some big project that would be easier with just one kid.  But I felt frozen and just plain out of sorts.  I realized that day that I've come to the point where I function better when I'm juggling my three kids.  Is that sad?  Shouldn't it be easier to spend the day cooking when I'm not answering questions, filling sippy cups and watching gymnastics/angry bird jumps in the living room?  Well, Hubs told me not to worry about getting anything done and my only job for the weekend was to enjoy Charlie.  Check.  I soaked up his snuggles, slobbery kisses, mashed up words, love for the outdoors and his sweet toothy smile.  And today, when Hubs called to say they were on their way home, I felt this completely joyful, beautiful energy build up.  I love the craziness our three bring to our life.  I love how complete I feel when we're all together.  I never thought I would feel more refreshed with 3 kids running around the house than being by myself, but I apparently I do.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to read this, looking ahead to three. :) I was just thinking recently about those long days in the beginning with one baby. Thankful for plural crazies. :)

    ReplyDelete