Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

best. birthday. ever

A year ago at this time, I traveling solo with my littles, saying good-bye to my grandma.  2 years ago, I was 9 months pregnant and my Hubs was at ODS.  The past 2 years have been full of some hard stuff, but I've heard God whisper to me a lot lately "This is not hard". 

This year, we were together.  We are healthy.  And life is sweet.


But you know you're a mom when you buy your kids bikes for your birthday.



It really was a gift I have been wanting.  I have been wanting to see this for a long time.  And it made my heart overflow with thankfulness; thankful for a smooth driveway (our old house had a long gravel driveway) to play on, for a quiet neighborhood with sidewalks to ride on, for a Hubs who sacrifices and for health to be able to jump on and learn new things.

I always dreaded the 30's, but now I wouldn't go back to my 20's if you paid me.  After 32 years, I've learned a few things about successful birthdays.

1. Do something for yourself.  We all have expectations that maybe we're not even able to communicate to our family, so pick one thing that is important to you and make it happen.

2. Specifically tell you spouse and family a few things you want.  They want to know what would make you feel loved and special on that day and making them guess will only lead to disappointment.

3. Be gracious when there are surprises or things don't go as you want.  Trust that your family loves you even if they don't show it the way you want.


P.S. I've heard the 50's are the best.  Too bad I have 20 more years to wait!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely love the thirties!! It is a good place. We have a lot to be thankful for! I'm glad you had an awesome birthday!!

    ReplyDelete