Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

More Protein Please

I have been crazy sore.  Like, wake up every time I move at night, sore.
I haven't been doing anything out of the norm...this is what the last week of workouts looked like:

Wednesday:  Body Design, 1 hour (weights/toning) + 4 mile trail run
Thursday:  Eliptical for 20 minutes, 10 push ups, 10 incline sit ups
Friday:  1 mile Run, 11 push ups, 11 incline sit ups
Saturday:  5 mile run + weights
Sunday: REST
Monday:  Spin 1 hour, 12 push ups, 12 incline sit ups, 8 pull ups
Tuesday: RIPPED
Wednesday:  1 mile Run, 12 weighted pull downs, Body Design 1 hour

And now I'm sitting on the couch, very, very sore.

Hubs hasn't been phased by any of our workouts, so I've begun to wonder what is wrong with me.  When I saw my friend who teaches RIPPED this morning, I asked her "Aren't you so sore?!  How are you teaching this morning?!"  But she said she was fine.  By this point I was sure something was very wrong with me.  I shared my concern and said I've been drinking tons of water, but maybe I'm not stretching enough.  She said the answer lies in protein.  If you get enough protein, you won't be sore.  Genius!  However, I'm weary of protein powders and shakes.  For me, they hide a lot of extra calories and sugar and my body doesn't tend to like them.   I feel like we get a lot of protein around here, but I learned today that you need 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh, each day.  Yikes!  That confirmed that I have some serious protein work to do.  I came home and researched good sources of protein.  Here's what I found:


Wild Salmon26 grams3 oz
White meat poultry30 gramshalf breast
Milk6 grams1 cup
Cheese32 grams1 oz
Greek Yogurt6 grams1 cup
Eggs-pastured13 grams1 egg
Pork tenderloin25 grams5 oz
Lean Beef-grass fed36 grams3 oz
Pumpkin seeds33 grams1 oz
Almonds33 grams1 oz
Lentils22 grams1 cup
Beans

Soy

Tuna

Whey Protein Isolate




Any good protein shake recipes out there?  Any advice on upping protein without adding tons of calories? 

I'll be sipping some chocolate milk on the couch while I wait for your advice :)

P.S.  Did you know chocolate milk is an awesome recovery snack?  They passed it out at the half marathon I ran and I thought it was a gross idea...but it's amazing!  Try it, you won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Beans are your new best friends when it comes to adding protein without a lot of fat, sugar or too many calories to your diet. Sure, you can add in ingredients to boost the calorie count (thinking of the skinny boys who need bulking up) but it’s not necessary.

    Here are some links to some nutritional info for a couple of different kinds of beans:

    Pinto: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=89
    Navy: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2336/2
    Kidney: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=87

    And one of my favorites, lentils: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52

    One article I read years ago called lentils the fast food of the bean world because they cook so quickly. That's always a plus when you've got hungry hippo kids to feed.

    ReplyDelete