Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Refocusing


It's been about a month since both of my boys were diagnosed as "underweight" and we were told that the next few months were critical in weight gain.  The day after their diagnosis, I stood in the grocery store frozen, not sure what to buy.  Is it possible that we eat too healthy? I decided right there that no child would starve on my watch and I proceeded to buy anything and everything that had lots of calories that I thought they would eat.  Our pantry was soon full of donuts, cheetos, poptarts and cookies.  It was a picture of a mother's heart...willing to do anything and sacrifice everything for her child.  Healthy food was pushed aside as we cheered for the 200 calorie peanut butter bar the boys consumed.

But here's the thing, it wasn't working.  They would only eat half of a donut and smash the other half in the carpet.  We were spending so much money and wasting so much food.  After a few weeks, Hubs and I were starting to feel like the food we were consuming; junk.  It was time to refocus.

I started cleaning back up our food and started with our bread.  We usually make this bread recipe, but I found a simpler recipe that only uses whole wheat.  It turned out great!



Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted 
  • 2 1/2 cups warm water
  • 7 cups whole wheat flour, divided

  • 1/3 cup honey

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active-dry yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon sea salt
Instructions


 In a large bowl stir melted butter, warm water, 3 cups flour, honey and yeast. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set in a warm, draft-free area for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and adjust rack to middle position. Uncover the bowl with the flour mixture in it and add remaining 4 cups flour and sea salt. Stir until just combined and then pour mixture on to a floured flat surface. Knead the dough for one minute (if the dough is a bit sticky, add a tablespoon or two of flour). Cut the dough in half. Roll first half to a 12x9-inch (approximate) rectangle and then roll it up to form a loaf. Place the loaf seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with second half of dough. After both pieces of loaves are formed, place a clean dish towel over the loaves and let them rise again in a warm, draft-free area for about 30 minutes or until they double in size. After dough has risen, remove towel, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.


The day after I made this bread someone shared with me how terrible wheat is for you.  Did you know that it has a high glycemic index?  I didn't.  I thought I was doing the right thing by making whole wheat bread.

Then Hubs and I read an article about how skim milk is even more terrible.  We are the people the article made fun of, the people who thought skim milk was the healthy choice.  But really, it's the most processed milk full of icky stuff.

Everywhere I turned someone was talking about a cleanse or going vegan.  It seems like everything is going to kill us and every food has an argument against it.  It's overwhelming and it makes feeding our families completely stressful!



So here's what it boils down to...you have to decide what food theory you are convicted of and what works for your entire family.  I personally do not agree with the "fork over knife" fad diet or with cleanses.  For our family, we want to eat good, real food, in it's most natural state.  However, we are not legalistic about our diet and strive to enjoy our meals...and sometimes that means breaking the rules a little :)

If there was one thing I could shout to the world right now, it would be:

Don't let food consume you and don't let it define you.


P.S.  Carnation Instant Breakfast and Larabars have been HUGE helps in calorie consumption. 

4 comments:

  1. Rick and I went through a similar phase when the boys were little, and you are right. You can find people/experts who will tell you pretty much anything is bad for you. I like what you said about not being legalistic and not letting food consume you or define you. It's fuel for our bodies and yes, I want to choose high quality fuel but at the end of the day, sometimes I'm going to have ice cream or eat too much butter and that's OK. I can have anything I want, I just can't have everything I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread intimidates me, but I should probably actually try it. (making bread, that is, I have no trouble eating bread) And it is very stressful when so many people feel like the way they choose to eat is the way everyone should eat. There are certainly lots of actual healthy food rules like eat your fruits and veggies, but some people really get into scare tactics with some of the trendy diets. I was so surprised to learn about skim milk, too, and we've switched to full-fat dairy for everything. Less processed and tastes better. ;)
    Hang in there! Food issues are tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that we might have to
    Do the same at N's next well visit. It's like some kids are OK not eating unless it's something they absolutely love. Very frustrating when you try to eat healthy! Sigh. Would love to hear yours/share our tips. Oh and I agree when it comes to real food, sometimes we can know too much and feel defeated if it's not all local, organic, gluten free, etc. etc. you just have to do the best you can with

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you have or know. Everything in moderation. I do dind it frustrating that there are a lot of misconceptions about our food industry

    ReplyDelete