Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thankfulness

The past 2 years, we've had a thankful tree inspired from this Pin:

The Thankful Tree


Every evening, we would write something we were thankful for on a leaf and hang it on the tree.  Thanksgiving day, we would take all the leaves off and read everything we had been thankful for that month.
However, Hubs was not thrilled with having a tree in our house.  I had it in our dining room and branches would often get knocked as we walked by.  I'll never forget one day when we had a repair man in the house...he ran right into the tree and got tangled in the branches.  Hubs said to him, "Yea, I'm not sure why we have a tree in the house".  It still makes me chuckle when I think about it.  So, I kept all the leaves, but the tree went back outside.

This year, we're trying something new.  Bubby is having a hard time grasping the time frame of holidays (i.e. he asks 10 million times a day if Christmas is coming).  I saw an idea for school, using Hersey Kisses to count down to Thanksgiving.  But when we came home from trick-or-treating with this:


I refused to buy more candy.
I tweaked the project and hot glued a piece of their favorite candy from our stash on ribbon for each day of the month.  Now, every evening, we write down what we're thankful for and then they can eat their one piece of candy.  It gives Bubby a visual for how many days are left until Thanksgiving and diffuses the constant questions about eating Halloween candy.  Win. Win.

P.S. I wrote their names on the top of the ribbon so there was no confusion about who's candy was who's.
P.P.S.  If you have a toddler in the house, raise the ribbons!  It took all of 2 minutes before Charlie snatched a sucker off the ribbon.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your thankful tree! The story about the repair man made me chuckle OUT LOUD, too :) I love the candy idea! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete